Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Behind bars

Yellow...... It’s me............ I’ve missed you guys a lot, hope you missed me too. Sorry I’ve been away for a while now; school gets in the way, mid semester exams, tutorial, group work, mood swings, laziness, you know, the whole baggage.

Four of my course mates and I have been working really hard on our project/thesis. We choose a topic on prisoners’ right to vote in Ghana. At first we considered conjugal rights_ inmates getting laid.

But after visiting the place a couple of times, I ask myself_ what the hell were we thinking? SEX in prison???

Where were they gonna do it, sleeping is even a problem.

Thank God we changed the topic, i read in the news paper today, the Supreme Court had passed a judgment allowing convicted and remand prisoners to vote, and that the Electoral commission should go to work on making this possible.

Do you think jailbirds should vote?

5 comments:

  1. If what is being voted on will affect their state in prison, then why not? If it won't affect their state, it doesn't make any difference--they are not living in the communities where voting causes life-changing events (my take). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. They broke the law, so they shouldn't have that privilege. I read that article too, and could barely believe that such highly esteemed judges came to such a ridiculous conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm torn. On the one hand, I feel that jailbirds should accept their civil liberties being revoked because they were found guilty of a crime.

    Another part of me feels like they should get a vote because the purpose of prison is rehabilitation, not punishment.

    So I'll remain on the fence with this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are entitled to vote. They may have broken the law bu tthe people who run the system still has an impact on them and their circumstances. Now if a politician is campaigning on the grounds of killing off all prisoners, don't you think they should speak up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Last Born Child, I am on the fence for the same reasons. I do strongly feel that voting is a privilege.

    Great question. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete